Monday, June 22, 2009

New York Trip

Thursday (recalling)

We arrived late to the Laguardia, our flight was pushed back because their was congestion with the flights in New York----typical of the city. Our arrival was followed by bumper to bumper traffic with a sprinkling of rain. On our drive Erick noted that we must be in the projects, but in fact we were in Manhatten. Not all the brownstones look as beautiful as the ones you see on TV. Even having visited before we were overwhelmed by the massive towering buildings that came our way, one after another. We made a quick dash to our hotel to change, then we were off to dinner at Babbo. If you know me, you know I am a foodie through and through. Being in New York presented the opportunity to eat at Mario Batali's restaurant, and that is jewel I would be hard pressed to pass up. Babbo was rustic fine dining at its best, casual yet upscale. We noshed on shrimp and crab appetizers, followed by main courses, then desserts that were too good for words. The food was simple, yet complex with flavor. I am quite happy I went :)






On a side note-- the hotel I am at has this computerized panel that is mounted on the wall. It comes off and it is the brain of the whole room. It works the lights, the blinds, temperature, the tv-- everything. Well guess what-- I can not work the damn thing! I am a technological re!

Oh hello-- I almost forgot-- I saw Betsey Johnson having drinks in lobby bar.

Friday

It was hard to get out of bed today for more than one reason. Each of the reasons though--were alcohol related. The day started out slow as we grudgingly made our way out of the hotel. We stopped in at a quaint little corner cafe and ordered lunch. Mine a Ceasar Salad, and Ericks a lobster roll. Lets not kid ourselves into thinking that I stopped at the salad-- I eat salad so I can move on to the dessert. Oh what a dessert it was, chocolate genoise cake with homemade caramel ice cream. Nuff Said! After lunch we decided we needed to take a ride through Central Park, I didn't have the heart to go on the horse and buggy, so the human driven rickshaw was the mode of choice. Our tour guide was a nice young guy and he let us in all all kinds of interesting info, some of which we did not understand, but liked hearing none the less. I have to say it never ceases to amaze me how hardworking people are.












Saturday

Wow! We went to the Moma http://www.moma.org/

My brain short circuited after the first gallery I went in. No, I take that back- my amazement started right when I walked in the door. There were SO many people in line waiting to see art. We had limited time, so we started on the fifth floor. We were greeted by a huge Picasso, which was followed by endless paintings by everyone from Klee to Diego Rivera. There was a beautiful Lee Krasner that I loved. The Van Gogh, Starry Night, was by far the most popular painting in the whole museum. People were clammering around it, waiting, wanting just to be near it for a few seconds. I just could not rectify in my mind that this artist died with no recognition, and is now one of the most celebrated painters of all time. I really still can not understand it...

We at lunch at Bergdorf Goodman and it was pretty darn good, thanks Gillian for the recommendation. I had Sea Bass, unusual I know, and Erick had braised short ribs. The finale was a creme brulee style lemon tarte. Bergdorfs itself was like a old worn down beauty queen, lackluster, and almost comical in a strange way. The jewels were all still there, but on tattered brown stands, with no admirers. In fact the whole store was pretty empty.














The Wedding

So beautiful with a fashionable New York style bride and groom. She wore a beautifully fitted gown with a deco veil that was later dubbed the "dirty poof." The reception was a blast with fabulous food. Risotto balls were top on my list. To avoid the notion that I am not a creature of habit, I dined on polenta topped with Sea Bass. Erick, following the same path ordered his usual steak and potato meal. If I said that I had some of the best Margaritas I have ever had at an Italian restaurant in New York would you believe me...













The Plaza Hotel

We stayed at this wonderful Property. The hotel has been recently redone and it has every amenity that one could want. The rooms are classic with a modern touch, and the location near Central Park could not be better. They have a house Phantom that will take you anywhere withing a 10 block radius of the hotel, it works out quite nicely. I can say that everyone at The Plaza went above and beyond to take care of our every need.




The Plaza hotel, a Fairmont Property, in New York is running a deal right now where you can stay for 3 nights for the price of 2. This drops the rate on on a regular room at this historic property to $416 a night instead of $625 a night. If you are wanting to stay more than 3 nights you can book at a non refundable advance pay rate of $438. This hotel has recently been updated with 400 million dollars worth of renovations.

Semone Tip sign up free as a Presidents Club member and get free access to the health club and spa. You will also receive coupons in the mail that entitle you to free upgrades and food and beverage coupons.

http://www.fairmont.com/ThePlaza

No comments:

Post a Comment