Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mexican Food - Taco Stands in Tyler Texas

I have made it my mission to try all the taco stands in Tyler.

So far the list is as follows:

Guerros
Vine Street

This place is pretty good. They have a Tres Leches cake which is an absolute plus plus. The atmosphere is clean, nice, and a bit upscale for a taco stand. I had the Tacos and was happy.

Jalpita
Also on Vine

This one is behind Guerros. Guerros has carefully put up a fence to hide the small hole in the wall, Jalpita. Once I had eaten there, the fence seemed like not only a reasonable defense, but a necessary one. The food at Jalpita is crave worthy. If you are into decor, don't even bother. A place like this is only worthy of the true foodie, the foodie that will go to any lengths to get a good meal. I recommend the chicken quesadilla and chicken tacos on corn.







Jr.'s Taco's
Loop 323 (Near East Texas Brick)

You can only get beef at this taco stand. The menu items include Tortas, Tacos and Qusadillas. This is by far the best beef tacos I have had in town.

El Lugar
Troup Hwy

This place is yummy. Who does not love El Lugar. In Tyler right now this would be considered the chain of Taco stands. El Lugar's have sprouted up all over even in, dare I say, south Tyler...
My favorite thing here is their Quesadilla with all veg, no meat, or a taco made the same way.

El Pollo Regio
Valentine Street

El Pollo Regio is somewhat of a Texas chain. They are known for their spicy whole chicken served with tortilla's, beans and sauce. Their chicken is off the hook. One whole one is enough for 2 hungry people or 3 regular. If you are squeamish about chicken on the bone, a) you are not a true foodie, and b) don't bother coming here.

Morelas Taco
Vine Street (going toward Gentry)

Looks like a family run Taco stand. It really is more on the periphery of being a taco stand with a sort of full restaurant influence. None the less they have a hand written menu on the wall so it still qualifies as a taco stand for me. Tacos were mediocre. I tried a new thing though, Tacos Al Pastore-- Tacos made with pineapple. Definitely worth a try. I give it another go and try different hand written menu items. Red and Green sauce on the ok variety.

MLA Taco House
Crockett Texas Across from the Courthouse

This Yummy place is a kitchy convenience type store with a taco shop in the back. The orange sauce it fab and spicy to boot. I had quesadillas and Erick had barbacoa. Both were good.





Tony's Taco
On Vine street headed to the loop.

This place was not my favorite. I give it a C because the food was edible.

Chilada
On Hwy 271

This must have been an old truck stop or convenience store. The things I were highly impressed with were the clean bathrooms and kitchen. The cleanest I have seen at a taco stand to date. With that said -- clean does not necessarily good food make. I had three tacos a chicken one, a Tinga -- which is chicken in sauce, and beef. The two chicken tacos were edible and the beef was definitely not. The grade on chicken was a C and the beef was flat out flat line F! The tres leches cake was even bad!






Paisano's
Highway 271

Super Clean cute little place. I had a desebrada (shredded) beef taco and a chicken taco. Vanessa had chorizo, desebrada and Nopales (Cactus). E had the Barbacoa of course. He must have liked it because he had six. I liked my food and they had an orange sauce that was pretty good. I would go back here not only for the tacos that amazingly enough were only one dollar each, but to try other menu items as well.




\
Los Charles
Highway 271

Los Charles is a buffet but I heard they had good tacos so I made a trip. I had a chicken and beef and they were good. E had the Barbacoa and claims it is the best he has had yet. The flan was not worth the money. I make a better one, but then again my flan is rockin.




No comments:

Post a Comment