Monday, October 10, 2011

Alligator Soul Savannah Georgia

So we land in Savannah, it's getting later, it's raining, E's hungry-- so I tell him to find something. Mind you we have been traveling all day, I'm in jeans and sans makeup-- my hair looks like a semi tornado- but I agree to go somewhere as long as I don't have to figure out where.

That's when my lovely husband finds shrimp and grits on a menu. He shows it to me on his iPhone, I peripherally glance and lackadaisically nod- fine. He calls and gets a table for an hour later. This should have clued me in on something-- it's Monday and there's an hour wait...

As soon as we walk in I know I'm dressed wrong-- not just wrong- begger like...

I take up a chair in the waiting area, ooching and scooching to wrap my jacket around my "I walk the line" DWI t-shirt. Hell, I thought this was low country- doesn't that mean shrimp boils and crawfish? After a few minutes of shock, I remember who I am-- the one who doesn't give a shit, and I just own it. I don't like being caught of guard-- but hey, there's food to be had.


The food

Wonderful! A sophisticated southern menu by all means of the imagination. Offerings such as charcuterie and cheese platters, shrimp and grits, lamb racks and much more. I of course had to have the daily cheese tasting-- so wonderfully delicious paired with walnuts, grapes, strawberry compote, and a fresh chunk of honeycomb. At this point I was likely to forget my manners and match my attire, but my good rearing kicked in. E had the shrimp and grits-- stone ground and delicious. I ordered a salad for my main course, which in fact was overkill after the cheeses. I ate what I could--it was also superlative. It had small square grits cakes instead of croutons for goodness sakes, along with candied pistachios, cranberries, baby spinach and goat cheese. What the hell-- I'm not trying to look good in my bridesmaids dress anymore, forget it. I had to put the kibosh on any idea of dessert so I can't report on flavor, but I can tell you a peanut butter creme brûlée with macadamia caught my eye. What! I still had to look!

As for the service, it was impeccable in spite of my attire. I give a good grade for that. We had a waitress and a waiter in training, he was so eager to please and make suggestions that it made the whole experience way more enjoyable.

The cons: the bartender was, um, I don't know-- but I didn't like her. She dissuaded me from ordering food at the bar-- maybe my shirt?

We had to wait an extra 30 plus minutes after our hour reservation.

These things are worthy of minor demerits.

Really, if you are in Savannah go here for a nice upscale meal. The menu is well thought out, the staff is accommodating, and you will enjoy it!

Alligator Soul
http://www.alligatorsoul.com/
114 Barnard Street
Savannah, GA 31401



































No comments:

Post a Comment