Thursday, August 19, 2010

La Super-Rica Taqueria - Santa Barbara, CA

La Super-Rica Taqueria

622 N Milpas St
Santa Barbara, CA 93103 34.4278 -119.6872

I found THE taco stand in Santa Barbara.  Are you surprised?  When I went online to look up the reviews for La Super Rica Taqueria, I read that it had been a favorite of Julia Childs.  Good enough provocation for me I tell you.  I am a taco stand snob, if there is such a paradoxical thing.   I like good tacos, hole in the wall-y, grandma making, fresh masa tacos.  I was not disappointed.  There was a pretty long line when we arrived, and it was around 2:00pm.  By 3:00 we had our food, and a table.  I would not advise going here at lunch time unless you like punishment akin to steak waving in front of a hungry dog.  Go around 3ish when the line thins a bit.  The tacos were worth the wait, but what pushed this place to greatness was the tamale.  The tamale, vegetable filled and topped with cream sauce, was hands down the best tamale I have eaten.  It was a heroin tamale. Yes, that's what it was.   Full on fantastic.  If you are in Santa Barbara and you do not stop here, you either do not care about food, or you have just escaped a mental ward.

4 comments:

  1. Super Rica is one of the best food joints in Santa Barbara! the line is ALWAYS out the door (and around the corner). Whenever I'm in town visiting, it's on the to do list. Just a tip, a great, budget friendly place to stay is The Sandman Inn (www.thesandmaninn.com) in down town!. Close to all the action, you won't miss a step! Also, just a short drive to SUPER RICA!! and other great places to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Rica is some great mexican food and I should know! I've been coming there every time I come to SB for years! There is always a line out the door and unless you have eaten there you wouldn't understand! I recently just returned from Santa Barbara for Fiestas and I stayed at a great hotel; the South Coast Inn (www.santa-barbara-hotel.com) SO elegant and affordable, it was in a prime location, I really enjoyed myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those pictures of all the food is making my mouth water! Some of the best mexican food in town by far, the line is totally worth waiting in! This is some authentic, down home cooking that is impossible to pass up once you've had that earth shattering first bite. This was at least the case when I first went there a few years ago. Now whenever I am in town I have to stop off and get a burrito or enchiladas (everything on the menu is delicious!). Love that this place is close to my hotel of choice, the South Coast Inn (www.goleta-hotel.com). Classy and not too expensive either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So yummy at Super Rica! I grab lunch there every time I go to Santa Barbara. How can you not, it is just so good! Their burritos are to die for, next time you're in town get the carne asada burrito and tell me it isn't heaven! My hotel actually recommended it for me when I was new to visiting the city- the South Coast Inn (www.goleta-hotel.com). Elegant and the location is excellent!

    ReplyDelete